Although there was some schooling locally, Hannah More persuaded Holy Trinity Church to provide accommodation for one of her Sunday schools. In 1791 the Vestry agreed to build a house - Glebe Cottage - for a master and mistress of Hannah More's choosing.
The school was built in a stable - possibly at the west end of the Tithe Barn where there was already an established school for the poor. It officially opened in 1792.
The school was closed briefly in 1833 when Hannah More died. This was stipulated in her will as she personally was paying all of the rents and salaries and feared that they would not be continued. However, the school was re-opened in 1835 by the Anglican National Society. They provided education for 279 local children.
The school became Nailsea Parochial School and had an average attendance of 62 by 1852, however, admission registers only began in 1877 listing the names of all the pupils.
In 1901 Somerset Education Committee took over the school as a Voluntary Maintained Church of England primary school. It provided Secondary education from 1923 (although still retaining an infant class for children living nearest to the school).
Schooling in Victorian times was harsh, but then so also was working in the fields or in local industries. Parents did not always value education, and pupils were often absent.
An oil painting of Hannah More by Frances Reynolds circa 1780. Purchased with the assistance of...
Hannah More (1745-1833) was a Bristol-born writer, educationalist and abolitionist known for her charitable work. She...
The Tithe Barn, home of schooling for over 200 years, is a wonderful resource for learning about the past. Curriculum linked resources and activities are available across all key stages.